Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

Heiliger Abend



 ^^^ scenes from my Christmas morning run.^^^
^^^where we spent Heiliger Abend for church.^^^
 ^^^O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum.^^^
 ^^^yes, they did wear dirndls on Christmas. I die.^^^
 ^^^champers!^^^
 ^^^advent advent^^^
 ^^^platzchen, my god I've eaten so many cookies this Christmas.^^^


 ^^^picture perfect au pair/host family coupling, wouldn't you say?^^^
 ^^^kartoffelsalat, not a fan in the U.S. but the German version is delicious!^^^
^^^I finally started to experiment with cheese after a lifetime of hating it, when in Rome.^^^

Hey friends! Sorry for the extended absence on this end. It appears as though when you start dating someone... priorities change? I've been very neglectful of this little blog and it's lifeline updates recently. The days and weeks have been passing quicker and quicker. Where does time go?! Is this what the rest of life feels like, each day just accelerating past the next?

I've been keeping particularly busy with au pair responsibilities leading up to the Christmas week. Lots of babysitting, gift wrapping, laundry (so much laundry) and errand running. While it was overwhelming in the weeks leading up to the holidays - time flew by! I was really looking forward to Christmas Eve (Heiliger Abend) as that is the big to-do for Christmas here in Germany.

The morning of Christmas Eve I went for a sparklingly clear and super warm  mildly temperate run by the Isar river. This city I live in sure is gorgeous. I was very at peace and centered after some endorphines and frishe luft. My host family, their grandparents and myself all walked through our neighborhood to the large town church for a Christmas mass. The nativity performance was much cuter in German, and it was fun hearing all of the Christmas music with the same tunes but in another language.

When we came back from church Oma and myself kept the kids upstairs while Christkind delivered presents and rang the bell signaling their permission to come open gifts. I have to say, I really enjoy the German tradition of opening gifts in the evening time. Because that means champagne for the adults - Prost!


No comments:

Post a Comment