Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Blue Skies

It is not even hump day yet, but this week has been fantastic! Sunday was the perfect weekend day. It was clear, brilliant, crisp, and I went for a walk through the Englischer Garten that really set me at ease and made me genuinely happy. Marcella, her South African friend Maya and I made an awesome pasta and veggie lunch, with a bottle of white wine (duh). I had afternoon coffee and cake with the family, and my host dad's nephew came by to join. He's a college student here in Munich and is seriously so nice. I continue to be surprised and pleased when I meet people here. Everyone has been friendly and outgoing, eager to introduce me to other people and to show me around the city. I'm making friends! 

After cake we went for a family walk that was also quite relaxing despite having three tiny kids yelling and shoving the entire time. Thus far, this week has been manageable. There have been tantrums and screaming and biting but I am pretty positive that with three kids under 5-years-old that is a daily occurrence. The kids are trusting me more now that they have seen I'm a permanent fixture in their routines and lives. They still only want mom or dad to brush their hair and sit by them at breakfast, but when I pick them up from Kindergarten they come running and calling my name. It is a good feeling to be wanted by them, even if only a couple of times a day. 

Today went great, so I'm on a high of getting along with the kids. Yesterday was miserable at times with lots of crying (from the kids) and demands/bargains that I couldn't give them. I ended yesterday with a bottle (or 2) of wine, chocolate, good company and a funny movie. I've found that however difficult a day is - it's usually better when I get myself out of the house and interact with people my own age. 

Along the same note of making friends: I have so many invitations! I was never worried about not making friends, but I was starting to wonder about the when stipulation. Seemingly out of the blue I ended up getting three messages today all from different new friends/acquaintances inviting me out. I'm super excited for coffee and nights out with these girls, so far it is all good vibes. 

Here is to the rest of my week reflecting these great days so far! 



^^the adorable shared kitchen in Marcella's dorm."


^^sometimes you can totally tell the Isar is manmade.^^


^^the Chinese Tower biergarten. I spy with my lil eye a Bayerishe band playing in the middle!^^



^^a stellar view of the park and city on a crystal day.^^



^^fun fact: this Munich chancellor's building was partially destroyed during WWII. During the rebuilding process, the government built the new portions with glass to symbolize their transparency.^^


^^Residenz: exactly what it sounds like, German royalty's residence.^^


^^this past Sunday was the Munich marathon, so there were some literal road blocks on our walk.^^


^^the myth here is that you rub three of these little gold lions as you walk by for good luck.^^


^^more of the Residenz. I take a tour on Friday so more pics of this castle to come.^^



^^wine. always.^^


^^I spent my Tuesday morning organizing toys and completing puzzles. au pair life.^^


^^when he's happy, I'm happy.^^


^^for some reason riding down the slide together is doubly as fun.^^


I'm in the process of a new blog design now, and I'm excited to get that up and running! Aesthetics make it even more fun. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment