Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Alive in Munich

For anyone that has been following (generous word choice for only one post), I apologize for slacking so hard on updates! The past two weeks have been a whirlwind. I promise I have plans to retroactively update you. I spent most of last week preparing my host family for their trip to the Italian coast. This meant loads upon loads of laundry, running errands to grocery and clothing stores (they primarily shop at H&M), and packing up 14 days worth of kids' paraphernalia. They left for Apulia Saturday morning at 5 a.m. Kaitlyn, their previous au pair, was the lucky soul that got to drive them to the airport. 

The exciting part was, once the family left for Italy it was time for our trip to Spain! Kaitlyn, her best friend Sierra, Christie (a Kiwi au pair here in Munich) and myself all set off just after 7a.m. for our journey to Barcelona. Let me tell you, Barcelona is a special city. No amount of research or advice could have prepared me for the vibrancy, culture, color and hangovers I would experience in Barcelona. 

A Barcelona post is coming soon with photos documenting our fun. Until then, here are some photos from my iPhone of life in Munich thus far:



^^the view of Munich from Kirche Alter Peter^^


^^Munich from the other side of Alter Peter, the double-domed church is Frauen Kirche ("lady church" get it?.....)^^


^^the living room of my new home. a little puristic and spartan, no?^^


^^the dining room and kitchen, each cabinet and drawer has an engine to open it out of the wall, leaning against the counter will never be the same.^^


^^this view of the backyard is misleading, it has been cloudy and raining for the last six days.^^


^^the Isar! this river runs through the city and people surf at this part, called the Eisbach, all year round. not my cup o' tea when it's negative degrees outside.^^


^^we sat by the Isar in the Englischer Garten and played a German board game with another au pair and her host kids.^^


^^people tan and drink by the man-made Isar river during the warm months.^^


^^the Isar here reminds me of the Wonka chocolate river.^^


^^some days are even gorgeous with the clouds.^^


^^little Gisela sporting Steffen's new shoes. so chic.^^


^^this is dinkel (cereal). most breakfasts look like this. muesli, fruit and tea.^^


^^a fraction of the yarn and string at Ludwig Beck (German Bloomingdales)^^


^^see mom and dad, they do have fresh fruit in Germany.^^


^^the Glockenspiel, a Munich landmark in Marienplatz at the center of the city.^^


^^Sophia being coy on a post-Kindergarten stroll.^^


^^this is the view from the playground(spielplatz) on the walk home from Kindergarten. the playground is in a biergarten. Germany, I love you.^^



^^looking toward the city center from the S-Bahn station in Hirschgarten. I wasn't lying about the clouds and rain.^^


^^what I believe is the coast of France, on my plane to Barcelona!^^


No comments:

Post a Comment